Friday, June 5, 2009

Amsterdam--day 1

I doubt I'll be able to get on the computer too much during the trip, but we are staying with friends for the weekend, so I have a little time now before Erik and I go to bed. We arrived here at 7:05 AM (6 hours ahead of Eastern time), tired but ready to face the day. Our friend, Patricia, picked us up at the airport and brought us back to the town where she and her husband Martin live. We chatted for awhile, and then Erik and I decided that we needed to get a little nap in if we were going to make it through the rest of the day. It was around 10:30 AM, and I could hardly keep my eyes open. I felt like I couldn't focus on anything very well. We decided to sleep until 12:45 and then be up for the rest of the day.
After our nap we had sandwiches here at the house. Then we went for a walk downtown where we watched a demonstration on how they blow glass into vases. We felt so bad for one guy who had worked on his piece for at least 30 minutes, only to break it at the end. How frustrating! We would love to buy a little piece, but I'm afraid of lugging it around Europe.
Tomorrow we will tour Amsterdam. Yes, we will go to the Red Light District, but Patricia and Martin say that it's more played up in the States. We will be there during the day, so I'm sure it's much tamer than at night. We will also go to Anne Frank's house, as well as another old house that has been turned into a museum. We have plenty set up for tomorrow, but will start with a little bit of an easy morning. I think we'll just relax and make our way over to Amsterdam whenever we're ready. It's about an hour drive from here, give or take a few minutes.
On Sunday we'll go to where the windmills are and tour that area before Erik and I take our night train to Munich. I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to post any pictures until we get home. I forgot my camera this afternoon and was sad that I couldn't take pictures of what we saw.
If you have decided to check the blog, keep checking every couple of days. I will update when I can and will ask Erik to spring for me to buy computer time if necessary. Luckily I am a fast typer so it never takes long to post, especially if I don't put up pictures.
It's 10:30 PM here and the sun is just going down. Our room is dark, so hopefully we'll be able to go right to sleep. The sun comes up tomorrow at 5:21, so it could be an early morning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be having fun but we are having a blast with Kayleigh. She's SO good and loves playing with Mia and Nathan (Mafan). Do not hurry back. I mean do not worry about her. :)

Matthew and Valerie said...

Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned. I'm sure Martin and Patricia are enjoying having you guys visit.

Ali said...

Yay, have a wonderful time and enjoy it!!! Can't wait to hear more!

Jenna said...

Sweet...you are blogging from Europe. Get a few tulips from me in Amsterdam. I am sure they will make it back with you. The dogs are great; although, I did find a partially chewed plastic baggy on the ground the other day, but they seemed fine.

Kayleigh and Brian said...

Jenna--don't worry about the baggy. Those dogs eat more inedible food than anything I've ever seen, and they've survived it all! I'd bring you back some tulips (and some for myself!) but it's not tulip season. :( Maybe I'll find a picture of some tulips instead!