Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday in the Netherlands

Whew! What a weekend! I forget what day it is, but I'm told it's Sunday. We spent yesterday in Amsterdam. We had a busy, although late, day in Amsterdam. We got to the city later than we had hoped because of an accident on the highway. We started with a canal boat tour. It was neat to see the architecture and houses from the water. They were mostly built in the 1600s, and people still live in them now. We walked around after that and ended up in the Red Light District. I didn't even realize where we were until Patricia told me to look at the lights. It's very odd to see the women in almost nothing standing in the windows trying to find customers. I definitely don't agree with prostitution in any form, and it was hard for me to think about what these women are doing to their bodies. The actual place with the prostitutes is only 2 blocks, so it's not a huge part of the city. We did smell some marijuana once and saw a plant growing in a store window. You can buy seeds to make your own garden. I won't tell you if we did or not until after we make it through customs! :) We had lunch in the Red Light District. I had a traditional hamburger and french fries. I guess that's more American than Dutch...We took a trolley to Anne Frank's house. I wish I had re-read her biography before we came. It was really interesting to see how and where she lived.
Today we went with Martin to Zaan something. It's another city that is totally different than Amsterdam. The place we went has been made into a museum. You can see how they make wooden shoes and cheese, along with a few windmills and what was made inside of them. The houses were completely different than what we saw yesterday. It's crazy to think of how different things can be, even though the two cities are only about twenty minutes away from each other.
We will have some food before Martin takes us to the train station. We'll leave tonight for 2 days in Munich. Maybe Erik will let me update Tuesday night before we leave again, but I don't think I'll be around a computer too much too soon.
I'm still tired, but am more on this time. Erik is doing great with the time change. I didn't sleep real well last night, mostly because I kept thinking about everything we had done that day. My body was tired, but my mind was wide awake! We will have little couchettes tonight on the train. I think we might have a 4 or 6 person "room". Maybe not everyone will show up, and if they do, hopefully no one will snore!

1 comment:

Matthew and Valerie said...

How fun to have personal tour guides. I can't wait to see your pictures when you get back and start posting them.