Thursday, June 11, 2009

Prague

Prague day 1 continued--After trying to decide what to do, Erik and I did not take a tour of Prague yesterday. We bought a book on Prague and did our own thing. I think it was a better idea because we could go at a slower pace and stop when I needed to. We saw one of the castles, walked across Charles Bridge, and ended the day with the fountain show that I wanted to see. I'm sure the show would have at least been more colorful had we done it later in the evening, but I was already tired, and it wasn't close to our hotel. The sun doesn't go down until later, and we went to the 8:00 show of the dancing fountain. I thought that it would be a big deal, but there were about 15 of us in the stadium. When we got back to our room, we decided to get room service for dinner. It was after 9, and I didn't want to have to walk anywhere else! I told Erik a couple of times that I wanted to cut my feet off and throw them away. I'm not used to all of this walking! Luckily my legs are fresh by morning and I'm ready to start over again.

Prague day 2--We walked to the Old Town Square this morning and watched one of the old clocks chime at the top of the hour. A rooster will crow and dancing saints come around the top of the clock. At 1:30 we caught a tour going to Kutna Hora. This is where they have a small chapel that is decorated with thousands of human bones. It's really weird and the guide told us that she doesn't like to be in there for long. You can tell that the people who lived however many years ago were much smaller than we are today because their skulls look like children's skulls. From there we went to the church of Saint Barbora. She is the saint of the coal miners and something else, I think. It was a really pretty church, and very ornately decorated. We also saw the Royal Mint that is still being used as the town hall, I believe. We saw a coin that was made in the 1200s! I can't believe someone kept a coin for that long! We are now back at the hotel using the internet, even though we have already checked out. Shhh!!!

In a couple of hours we will leave for Krakow. We'll take an overnight train there and walk around the city of Krakow, plus take a tour of Auschwitz. It will be a long day since we arrive at 6:30 AM and will take an afternoon train into Warsaw. Warsaw is our final destination. We'll go to Matt and Karina's wedding and get to relax some before heading back to the States on Monday.

We both say how much we miss Kayleigh, but we would not have been able to do as much as we have with her. We know she's in good hands and check on her every couple of days. Hopefully she'll be as excited to see us on Monday as well be to see her!

2 comments:

Ali said...

Sounds like you all are having a good time and seeing the sights. Just reading the blog is wearing me out, hope you are getting some rest too!

Anonymous said...

Who are Mommy and Daddy? :)
I'm glad you're getting to see so many things. Kayleigh wouldn't have had as much fun with you as she's having with all of us here.
Aunt Valerie has been her favorite this week. I'll move back up when Val leaves this morning. :(