Saturday, June 2, 2007

WE'RE HOME!!!


Whew! It has been a looooooooooong few days, but in a way, I felt like I was on vacation. It's hard to think about things going on in the outside world when you're stuck in the hospital not feeling like doing much.

Wednesday was a good day, filled with lots of emotions, and highs from having just given birth. We had the most visitors that day.

Thursday was when things began to slow down. We still had some visitors, and we did our best to take pictures of Kayleigh with each of her new friends.

Thursday night/early Friday morning, Kayleigh was given a test for jaundice, and we were told that she did have it. I know that it's not that big of a deal, but at this point, I had really started bonding with my new daughter (!) and could hardly bear the thought of only being able to look at her during the day and not being able to hold her. I was told that I had to stop breast feeding (TMI for some, I know!), and she had to go on formula. Erik was great at giving her the bottle. I couldn't quite sit up straight enough to effectively feed it to her. Friday was my worst day with pain and not feeling like doing much. Luckily, Kayleigh was able to sleep in the room with us, even though she had to be under a UV light.

By Saturday morning, her bilirubin (SP!?!?!?) levels hadn't gone down much. The bili...is what causes a person to become jaundice, and is what they need to get rid of. Because of the levels still being a little high, I thought for sure that we would stay in the hospital. I had really gotten used to being waited on hand and foot, and I loved all of the free stuff I was getting there. (mainly the humble servants!!!) When the pediatrician FINALLY came at 1ish, he said that they would order a UV light that we could take home so that we didn't have to stay. I tried to tell him that I, unlike some, was quite enjoying my hospital stay, and wouldn't mind another night there. Erik saw it from a different view. He was ready to come home. We got here at 6:05. The dogs are being really good, although I think that they're feeling a little deprived of attention. Shirley made a wonderful dinner for us, including both salad and dessert! Everyone is kind of getting their bearings again and settling in for the night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're glad you're home! It's no fun visiting in the hospital. I guess you vacation had to end sometime. Good thing you still have Mom and the Eikelands to help out!
~Valerie

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Yay, we're glad y'all got to go home. By the way, nothing in the hospital is "free" - your insurance paid it somewhere along the way :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you're home and doing well. I'm also glad to hear you have some help at home. That's always a plus. Enjoy it while it lasts. :) Congrats again to the both of you. She's beautiful!!

The Bates Family

Anonymous said...

Congrats! She's precious! Just nurse and nap. Hang in there. Aunt Charlene