Thursday, August 13, 2009

Swimming lessons



For the last two weeks, I have been taking Kayleigh to swimming lessons. She definitely had fun for the most part, but would NOT put her head under water. It's frustrating because she was doing it consistently this summer, but decided to not do it at her swimming lessons. I think part of it was that she would see the other mother constantly dunking her kid under water, even though he would be coughing up water and not seem ready to go back under before she did it again. I even thought that she didn't realize how often his face would go under water when his back was to her and he would end up swallowing a lot without her knowing. But, I will say that he ended up not minding as much by the end of the lessons. Too bad I'm not one of those mothers who doesn't mind torturing her daughter! Even though Kayleigh won't tell you this, I think she can almost float on her back by herself. I would crouch down as low as I could in the water and she could pretty much stay afloat by herself. In all, I would say that the lessons were a good experience. I think with more practice and pool time, Kayleigh will be swimming on her own before we know it!
This video is a little long, but it's one of the songs that we would sing in the class. If you see Kayleigh reaching for her neck, that's her signal to only put her in that deep. We had many a conversation these last two weeks about how I wouldn't put her all the way under water unless she said it was okay. I want her to trust me when she's in the water. Watch the other little boy, too, and you'll see what I mean about his face going under when his mother doesn't realize it.

2 comments:

Matthew and Valerie said...

I'm sure she's going to be a good swimmer one of these days. It's good that you two talked about her feelings in the water and didn't scare the pants off her.

Emily Mitchell said...

Ok- I was laughing at the poor little one whose mom kept dunking the kid! :( SO sad for him, but funny at the same time. I love reading your blog!!!