Monday, April 23, 2007

Baby shower

I know that this is late, but I didn't have time to post this before. Last Wednesday (I told you it was late!), Godmother Drew had a surprise baby shower for me here at school. She had been planning it for weeks, and somehow left me totally in the dark! There were about 25 teachers that showed up, and none so much as peeped about it! Here's the story:
About 3 weeks before the shower, Drew sent out an email to my department and hers (she teaches English), along with some other teachers and administrators that I'm friends with. She told everyone that she would pick up a gift card, and they could contribute if they would like. She sent a couple of cute students around to take up the money. One girl said that the teachers weren't going to sign the card unless they gave some money!! I guess it worked, because in the end, Drew was able to get the stroller and car seat combo that I wanted! I was quite impressed.
Let's move up to baby shower day. That morning, Erik was leaving for work and called me out to the garage. I went out there and there was a cute, furry dog that wanted to be friends. We had never seen the dog before, and it had a 3 ft. vine entangled in its fur. We weren't sure what to do, but I eventually decided that Erik should put the dog in the back yard and I would call animal control to pick it up. Our back yard is great because you can see through the fence. We figured that if the owners came walking through the neighborhood, they would be able to see the dog and take it home. We also locked Ginger and Tracy in the house so that they couldn't escape with the dog or get picked up by animal control, and the dog couldn't sneak into the house.
That might not have seemed relevant to the story, but it is, I promise! I can count on one hand how many times Drew has beat me to school in the morning. She got there early, and I was late, because I wanted to give Ginger and Tracy a chance to potty outside before locking them in the house for the day. Drew called me about 7:15 to make sure I was coming to school. She was worried that I was sick, and almost mad at Erik for letting me stay home! She had the stroller and car seat in her car, and wanted to send a student out to get it. Amazingly, I didn't pay attention to her car in the parking lot, and didn't hear the panic in her voice! She had students working undercover for her all morning, and somehow they didn't blab, either!
The shower was a great success, and a complete and total surprise! Drew is really earning her Godmother title!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long story short... :)

Glad you work with such a great group of teachers and students!

~Valerie

Anonymous said...

I agree about Drew is stepping up to her godmother role!!!
Had a great time with you this weekend (especially enjoyed that 1 1/2 hour nap!!)
love
dad